Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

Do you charge it from an NST with rectifiers and a
variac? If so, you could measure variac output, and
calibrate the scaling using your HV probe. Of course
this wouldn't tell you when you're fully charged.

I use the 5 volt output from my HVDC YAG PSU in my
canabalized VTVM:

http://hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/psu_34kV_1.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/psu_34kV_2.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/psu_34kV_3.jpg

Adam

> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:29:51 +0000
> From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)
>
> Hi Bart,
>
> Yes, a high voltage probe that plugs directly into
> your DVM
> is the most convinient way to measure HV. I do
> already have
> one of these and was using it to try to calibrate my
> "attempts"
> at a voltage divider. However, I need a more
> permanent panel
> mount meter for measuring the voltage across my huge
> quar-
> ter shrinker caps so that I don't overvolt them. I'd
> really ra-
> ther not have to be sticking that probe by hand onto
> the
> "hot" terminal of a fully charged 20 kJ capacitor
> bank each
> tiem that I charge them up ;^() I need a safer and
> more per-
> manent hardwired metering setup.
>

> David Rieben

> From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>