Re: Ignition Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:27:26 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ignition Coils (fwd)

Daniel,
     I think putting an ignition coil across 120 V AC is asking for a pile
of molten copper (correct me if I'm wrong guys).  They are meant for 12 V or
so DC input (off a condenser, triggered by the distributer), and get HV out,
by operating at resonance (like a TC, using one off of turns ratio alone
doesn't amount to much).  You have to drive the coils with a small solid
state circuit (either a 555 timer based circuit, or you can be tricky, and
use a circuit like this
http://www.personal.psu.edu/sdb229/plasma%20ball%20power%20supply.html
just wind three windings on a small toroid core transformer (pirated out of
something) and they will be your primary, and feedback windings, as well as
a winding to put voltage into you ignition coil.  I have never actually
tried this, but it does work with flybacks, so it should work with an
ignition coil as well.)  After you have your ignition coils resonating at
whatever frequency they work best at (my circuit may not perfectly match
their frequency, therefore may not be the most efficient, but it is real
easy), you rectify their outputs (parallel as many as you want for maximum
power, give each coil its own driver though), and make yourself a tiny DC
coil.  I wouldn't rule out subbing in flybacks instead of Ignition coils,
but you might have to use the old AC type, and rectify them, as I think the
polarity of modern rectified flybacks is wrong for your application (maybe
it doesn't make a difference!  I don't know).  Good luck.
Scott Bogard.