Re: usable potential transformers? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 08:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: usable potential transformers? (fwd)

Great PTs, but not worth $500 + $250 shipping!  Not
for what you're going to do with them, anyway ;-))
S'pose if you're local you might save the $250, but
then that's still $500.  And Dr. R. would probably be
happy to sell you a pig for ~$200 or less and ship it
to you for about that much again (forget what he
charges these days, but it's alwasy seemed pretty
reasonable to me).  That'd be 10kVA for ~$400-500
versus < 2kVA for the same.  Seems like an easy
choice.  Plus those PTs, with their huge mounting
platforms, fuse holders, etc., look like they'd easily
weigh as much as a pig.  PTs often have oversized
cores to improve voltage regulation characteristics,
which makes them very heavy per kVA.  I just picked up
two 26kV 3kVA PTs from the local utility.  They were
in enormous oil-filled cans and weighed 450 lbs each!
 ...but I only paid $50 each for mine!! ;-))

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE