http://www.geocities.com/livvasil/sgtccontest.html

 From step one to step four I developed a little TC
ignition coil based. You need a larger primary cap
though. I am using a 3.6 nF cap.And use a dimmer-cap
driver for the ignition coil to have a better current
output.

..and a little movie with the final setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-iRY3H5S0

Good luck with the experiments. These tiny coils are
harder to get them right than with the larger coils..

teslina

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson"
> <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Tesla list wrote:
>
> >Original poster: "James Howells"
> <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >I have spent every day since Jan1 working on my
> tesla and can not
> >get more than a 1" spark no matter what I do
> >
> >To save my sanity - some help is requested - I WANT
> TO GET BIGGER SPARKS!
> >Power supply:- Twin Auto Ignition coils - 555
> interrupter through
> >two power transistors. A separate oscillator supply
> to main 12v
> >battery-ball point pen case chokes - works well
> >
> >Spark gap :- 6 mm copper tube fixed end to end but
> gap adjustable -
> >best setting seems to be 0.1"
> >Primary : 4 series 390 pF 15kv caps , and 3 in
> series 390pf 15kv
> >caps ( should be 4 of each, but leg fell off one
> cap and no
> >replacement yet)  the three  strings are in
> parallel
> >{4 x 390}
> >{4 x390}
> >{3x 390}
> >
> >Primary coil wound on 4.3" plastic soil pipe (
> sewer pipe) with
> >.048" enamelled wire
> >Turns 18 at present but was 30 and reduced it and
> tested  one turn
> >at a time down to 18 turns
> >
> >Secondary: wound on 2.64" dia white ( abs?)
> plumbing waste pipe
> >approx 450 turns of .019" enamelled wire to a
> height of 10.25 "
> >
> >Various toroid top loads have been tried ... and
> non , which works best!
> >
> >The present spark at the Tesla is about 1" which is
> about 20% of
> >what I expected
> >I have not been able to improve on this - PLEASE
> HELP!
> >

> >I built a Tesla Coil Tester to match the resonant
> frequency of the
> >coils ( it's a 555 and two LED job, and I think it
> works like the
> >grid dip oscillator Thank one needed to have here
> for compliance
> >with our Ham licence).
> >The coils do show oscillation at the same point on
> this home made instrument
> >
> >Originally the tester had a range too high for my
> coils so, I had to
> >double the oscillator capacitor inside the tester -
> and  as a
> >consequence lost even the crude calibration that
> was there to give
> >me a quantative reading.
> >This said, I think both coils resonate at about 800
> kHz, and this is
> >about the area my calculation show also.
> >
> >How close do I have to be with the frequency match
> ? Is it exact  or
> >nothing or is some mismatch possible but with
> reduced spark length?
> >

> >Thanks in anticipation of your replies
> >
> >James Howells
> >
> ><http://www.SpamJab.com>www.SpamJab.com
> [...]