Re: Undamped oscillations

Original poster: "Gav D" <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed, Gary et al,
didn't Tesla experiment with stroboscopic observation of waves, or at
least frequency? If so could he not have detected frequency components
as well as the main carrier using this method (using a beat frequency
method of some sort). Not as good as an oscilloscope or spectrum
analyser, but perhaps he would have been able to to pick-out
components with this method?

Gavin

Thank you Ed for the reference to Marconi's "timed spark discharger".
Googling this I found an excellent page at
<http://hjem.get2net.dk/helthansen/marconi_tx.htm>http://hjem.get2net.dk/helthansen/marconi_tx.htm
that goes into nice
detail about the operation of such hardware.  I'm still not sure that I
would call the result "undamped", but at least it is more or less CW.
wonder just what visibility Tesla had into the actual waveforms?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA "

   If there was one spark per cycle the wave would be undamped
although there might be harmonics present of magnitude depending on
the loaded Q of the circuit.  If there was only one [correctly
phased] spark every N periods then I believe a mistuned tank circuit
would result in a broader wave although I've not tried to analyze the
situation.  As for Tesla's visibility he probably had only his
intuition at the time (pre 1900).
Cathode ray oscillographs didn't come along until several years later
during Wardenclyfee days and no evidence he had on.  Big, expensive,
and awkward to use.  Zennek's "Wireless Telegraphy" does have
photographs of some waveforms, at least in the US edition I
have.  There's a nice little book called "WAVEFORMS" by a guy named
V. I. Phllips (no relation) which reviews most everything which was
used to try to view or measure or visualize waveforms, both acoustic
and electrical, from the mid 19th-century on to the present and I
have a copy  [somewhere].  The date is from his book.

Ed