If you run it in the garage, the best suggestion is to remove the electronics from the opener or better yet, run it outside.

Be very cautious too where your breaker panel is as you can get induced voltages back into your house wiring and possibly wipe out other electronics!

Thanks, Frank

At 05:34 PM 1/21/2007 -0700, you wrote:
Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
Thanks everybody for the many suggestions on protecting garage door openers and also for ideas on not getting the wife mad about coiling mishaps (as a side note - surprisingly, she didn't get as upset this time as she did the last time my TC destroyed something. Maybe she's getting used to it...at any rate, I don't want to push it).

I will try a number of your suggestions. I guess the salient point is that coiling at increased power eventually gets to a point where you just don't plug it in & go. Set up & damage prevention measures now seem to be taking more time than the time I spend actually running the thing! Dennis Hopkinton MA

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: Garage door opener vs. Tesla coil

Original poster: "James Zimmerschied" <<mailto:zimtesla%40msn.com>zimtesla@xxxxxxx>

Dennis,
I had a similar experience with loss of a garage door opener circuit card from my TC operations. The coil was far enough away that it did not strike the opener but the receiver apparently did not like the TC RF emissions. The replacement card was $90 and my wife was not too keen on using the push button operator I rigged while waiting for the new card.

I now always unplug the door opener when I run small coils in the garage. When I run my medium coil (which does strike the opener rail), I unplug it and remove the PC card. - after dozens of runs at different times there has been no further loss.
Jim Zimmerschied