RE: Flat coils & undamped waves (was Wire Length)

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> If you wind flat spiral and solenoid coils with the same gages of wire,
> and with the same average radius and wire length, you will find not only
> are the potential/current ratios different, but also the
> inductance/capacitance ratios are different, too.  Similar coils with
> different geometries *do not* have the same L/C ratio.
>
> Without even building the coil, and using just a coil modeling program,
> you can make these calculations and see for yourself.  Coil geometry
> *does* make a difference.
>
> Dave"
>
>     You mention "resonance range" several times.  What do you mean by
> this?  Not a familiar term in this context.

Apparently, you see something in the above message, which others and I
cannot.  The message does not use "resonance range" at all, and it
specifically explains that the LC ratio changes for different geometries of
coils.

In a previous message you tried to use the constant relationship between the
potential/current relationship and inductance/capacitance relationship as
evidence there is no quantifiable difference in coil geometries.  Although
it is true the potential/current relationship depends upon the
inductance/capacitance relationship, this in no way prevents the
inductance/capacitance relationship to change for different coil geometries.

As I said in the quote you provided with this message, you can prove the
variation of inductance/capacitance relationship with different coil
geometries by using any of the fine Tesla coil calculators made available by
members of this list.

Dave