Re: magnetrons as diodes

Hi Jesse,

While, in principle, any tube can be used for rectification, the magnetron is not appropriate for this purpose. There are dozens of vacuum tube rectifiers of different types, some with PIV >10 KV and RMS currents >1.5 Amp. IIRC the 866-A, and 3B28 are such  tubes. RCA manual TT4 has rectifier circuits for single-, three-, four-, and even six-phase supplies, and data sheets for many more. The 866As are about $35/pair while the newer 3B28 can be found for about $10/each or less.

Matt D.