Re: Impedance, Mechanical, Electrical

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Adam, All,

But, a capacitor stores energy by MEANS of storing opposite charges in two separate places within it (the plates). Each plate has a net charge, but the whole capacitor, considered as a closed system, has no net charge. Likewise, the balloon in your example has a net charge, but the balloon and wool, considered together as a closed system, has no net charge. Your distinction fall flat. This analogy does not explain the difference that you claim exists. Still sounds like a large sophomoric semantic game to me yielding no deeper understanding.

Matt D.

BTW coils and capacitors have been used to mimic behavior of the springs and shock absorbers in the design of automobile suspensions since at least the 1930s.