Re: Unpotting a France 12/30 ++

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Put the neon in the kitchen oven 150 deg for about 1 hour. Turn the heat up 25 deg every 15 minutes until the tar melts. If you do not over heat the tar it will not smoke or boil over. Pour out the liquid tar clean the transformer in fuel oil. Soak in fuel oil about 1 week all the tar will come right off no work no effort. If you plan to reuse the tar mix in about 50% high voltage oil with the tar and pour it back over the neon in the same case. Unpot the neon remove your shunts and test it to see how many micro amps you are getting. Make sure the secondary coils are located in peek output location. If you slide the coil left and right on the metal core and watch the VOM output reading you will see the amps go up and down with the location of the coils. Put the neon in a tank of High voltage oil it will make it almost bullet proof. The oil acts like a cooling system too. Make a plexoglass box for your neon and HV oil.