Re: The MMC debate continues . . . . . .

Hi all,

I may as well jump in and throw in my two-bits worth ;^)
I have not experienced shocks IF the primary capacitor
was in parallel with the HV secondary winding of the po-
wer transformer AND properly RF grounded.
Where I have had a little problem is
when I "float" the capacitor where both sides of it are
"hot" and it has no direct connection to the RF ground
once the coil is de-energized. That allows an electrosta-
tic charge to remain on the metal case surface of my
50 kV, .1 uFd Hipotronics pulse cap in my Green Monster
coil: http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/
(the turqouis green box with the insulator bushing)
I never received any severe shock because of this, it
was more like the shock from rubbing your feet across
a shag carpet and touching a doorknob on a cold dry
winter's day. However, it was still rather startling and
once I rewired the circuit for the cap's case to always
be tied to RF ground, this problem disappeared. There
is a residual charge left in the filter caps of my VTTC
caps after power down, though, and the discharge
looks hot enough to be very harmful or lethal!

It's kind of funny that >10J is considered lethally
dangerous and yet paramedics typically use 200J
and sometimes even 360J to "restart" a heart that
is in fibrillation. BTW, fibrillation does not mean that
the heart is completely STOPPED. Instead, it referrs
to a jelly-like quivering that the heart goes into when
its beat rhythm  is knocked out of synch for whatever
medical reason. The heart cannot effectively pump blood
in this manner and death will soon occur if this beat
rhythm is not restored. The defibrillation cap discharge
actually resets the electrical rythym to (hopefully) restore
the natural heart beat rhythm. I think Peter Terren is an
actual medical doctor and he can probably explain it better
than my firefighter/rescue training allows me to explain it.
I think as little as 10 mA across the heart can cause fibril-
lation (which is obviously lethal if not quickly corrected)
but I believe it takes considerably more current to complete-
ly STOP the heart (seems like I've heard several hundred mAs)
If the heart is completely STOPPED by electrocution, I don't
think defibrillation will be able to correct that. It's all over!

Let's all be careful,
David Rieben