Re: About wireless energy transfer

At 07:58 PM 2/11/2007, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Jim Lux <mailto:jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx><jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 07:49

Mutual coupling is always a problem in designing arrays but the unfortunately the designer has to live with it. In designing microwave antennas one common practice is to build a small array of elements and to measure the coupling of elements near the center in order to determine the required impedance matching. In general that impedance matching can't work over all possible angles so there is some power lost due to it. Sounds as if you may be working with some interesting array concepts - can you share any of them?

My (funded) research was for arrays that look quite conventional (patch radiators roughly 1/2 wavelength apart, so they have significant mutual coupling), but where the physical positions and orientations might vary (because, for instance, they are on a flexible substrate) or where the electronics connected to them varies over time (temperature variations changing phase shift through amplifiers or input and output Z of the LNA or PA.. that kind of thing). The idea was to distribute electronics and computational capability throughout the array (i.e. a CPU at every element) that could measure the couplings and "back it out" for each element to make a self calibrating array. If you take an array with, say, 10,000 elements, you could have 100 of them out of service (i.e. calibrating) at a given time without greatly affecting the array performance. Over 100 pulse times, you'd get to all the elements, which is less time than the time scale of the variations you're calibrating out.

http://www.luxfamily.com/jimlux/rtd.htm

has links to poster and annual report for the funded work. The technique can work, but it appears that there's not a huge demand (within NASA) for large space borne radar antennas of this type. All the identified requirements can be met with fairly conventional phased array techniques, so the added risk of a new and novel technique to get better performance isn't worth it.

Subsequently, I've been doing something similar on my own time for a portable HF array for ham radio applications. The "use case" is: Everything fits in the trunk of my car... Pull to a stop, deploy the antennas, run the cal routine, and be on the air in <20 minutes. Here you need to calibrate out the effects of the antenna siting and local soil properties.

Jim