[TCML] Terry filters

Hello everyone,
Just a question about terry filters, since the topic seems to be cropping up a lot lately. How much loss is there when using them? I'm no EE, but any time I see the main power coming in going through resistors, there must be some loss. Also, are the TF's "one size fits all", or can the components be sized to correspond with how much potential power you have coming in? It seems that we endeavor to eliminate "lossy" components. "Using beer bottle caps? Replace them with an MMC." Don't use a dimmer switch, too "lossy", etc. Ultimately, is using a TF a trade-off between loss and protection? Kind of like driving a newer car that comes with a mandatory explosive device (air bag) in the steering wheel. "But it's for your protection!" Just one of a number of reasons my two vehicles are 1964 and 1980 Chevys. The k.i.s.s. principle, and no bombs staring me in the face. But I digress, sorry. So, what do you think about the terry filters?

Neal.