Re: [TCML] first light disaster

Hi Marko,

The cap failures may or may not have been due to the tap disconnect.

Did you notice if the caps failed before the tap issue? I expect you simply noticed the tap, reconnected and then tried with no results and later realized the caps had failed.

To be safe, describe your connections for us. If there is an obvious blunder, someone will recognize it. Also, describe the caps your using and MMC in general would be helpful. Also your SRSG electrode spacing would be of interest here.

Take care,
Bart

mark olson wrote:
I rolled the coil out of the shop for the first light, connected it up, but forgot the primary tap. When I attempted to fire it the primary began to arc at higher power. I realized what I had done and tapped the primary accordingly. Subsequent trials resulted in nothing. I rolled the coil back into the shop, inspected it and found that the capacitor on each end of the bank had visibly failed, swelled and leaked. Ringing the NST indicates that it may not be damaged.

Is this a case of "oops i made a mistake" or do I need to do further investigation, preliminary tuning, or what? By the way, is there a good method of "roughing in" the SRSG timing prior to firing?

Thank you very much,

Marko
kc5gym