Re: [TCML] first light disaster

With luck you didn't do much damage, but you need to find out.

Without much inductance, due to very high circuit Q, you could have
damaged additional MMC caps.  Good idea to do a HV leakage current test on
each MMC ( at 2 kV or less) to see how many uA or mA they draw.  Some
internal damages may have occured which will cause other good caps in the
series string to fail --- the defective units will short and conduct like
a wire putting additional stress on any remaining good caps.

> I rolled the coil out of the shop for the first light, connected it up,
> but
> forgot the primary tap.  When I attempted to fire it
> the primary began to arc at higher power.  I realized what I had done and
> tapped the primary accordingly.  Subsequent
> trials resulted in nothing.  I rolled the coil back into the shop,
> inspected it and found that the capacitor on each end of
> the bank had visibly failed, swelled and leaked. Ringing the NST indicates
> that it may not be damaged.
>
> Is this a case of "oops i made a mistake" or do I need to do further
> investigation, preliminary tuning, or what?
> By the way, is there a good method of  "roughing in" the SRSG timing prior
> to firing?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Marko
> kc5gym