Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

In a message dated 12/24/07 11:34:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Snip>>>

> If the coil could deliver 30-36" sparks, why wouldn't it not just  hit
> the safety ground ring which is closer? Excuse my  ignorance.

To be honest, I don't know the answer myself, I just know it  works.  I
have personally obtained 8 to 10 foot streamers from  secondaries only
4 feet high with the toroid another foot or so above  that.

Snip<<<

Hi,

The answer lies in the shape of the E-field surrounding the topload. The
shape of the field around a toroid greatly encourages horizontal to slightly
above horizontal streamers, which is what allows 8-ft. sparks from a 4-ft coil.
Different shape toploads give different field patterns, and toroids seem to do
 the best job relative to their size and weight.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.