Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

Hi David,

You and I are near in age (but you have a couple years on me) ;-) . The people who have helped which I listed are made up of every part of the coiling community. Some consider certain names as coiling giants, but I don't consider anyone as a master of coiling. We are all coilers with different experiences and that's all.

Many of us could build large coils and have then perform well. There are of course limits before serious ingenuity is required. Kevin Eldridge showed what can be done by a coiler. Resources, location, desire, etc.. are all required. Most of us just can't go that big (but that doesn't mean we can't become experts in our class of coils). When it comes to some really big coils such as Greg L. and Bill W. have built, well that heads into serious thought which only a select few have that experience in. They are still coilers like you and I. If I disagreed with something they stated, I would have no problem arguing my point as I would with anyone.

Some have helped me directly, some by arguing with me, some by their accomplishments, some with their knowledge, and some just by being side by side with me in the battle of figuring out Tesla Coils. I remember back when you sent me a video of your garage coil before you moved. That video inspired me to get my large coil to do better (and it was one of my favorite videos until my VCR died). I eventually got my big coil to do well and could no longer run it inside the garage. Just way too much power. Grounding one side of the pig ears I got from you as well. It's the little things that count. You are certainly in my list of appreciated coilers and one of those coilers I hold in high regard.

Have a Merry Christmas Dave,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Bart,

Yup, age does catch up to us all, if we live long enough ;^)
I'm 45 now! Wow! Bart, I feel so honored to be mentioned by you among such coiling giants as I sure don't feel that
I am anywhere near the caliber of any of those other indivi-
duals that you named. As far as first coils, I don't have any
images of mine to offer for the viewing entertainment of the TCML and it's probably a good thing because I don't
think "ugly" is a sufficient adjective to describe my first at-
tempt at a coil back in the '80s! I suppose it would have
made for good comedy relief, though ;^))

Take care,
David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barton B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

Hi Alan

I looked young then, but age has a way of catching up (I'm 43 now!). At age 300 to 35, I was on the TCML between postings as my job required major travel (Brazil, Peru, Mexico, Canada, and various other cities and countries).

My first coil was "way" too large for a first coil. I didn't know jack from the bean stalk at that time. I started collecting parts and building before I found the TCML. When I found the TCML it was beyond amazement realizing I was just one in a hundred doing the same thing.

Sure glad I found these guys before I tried to fire up my coil! I would have been in a world of spark misery if it wasn't for the TCML and guys like DC. Cox, John Freau, Gary Lau, Ed Sonderman, David Reiben, Terry Fritz, Ed Wingate, Kurt Schraner, Jim Lux, Reinhard Buckner, Richard Hull, Robert Stevens, Bert Pool, Bill Beaty, Malcolm Watts, Bill Wysock, Bert Hickman, John Couture, Gerry Reynolds, Richie Burnett, and so many others I could mention, but I probably should stop before I develop a blood clot from good memories.

Take care,
Bart

Alan wrote:
Hi Bart:
At such a young age, it's good to see you started small, LOL.

Alan Majernick