Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:49:25 -0700
From: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (fwd)

Usually a C class extinguisher is CO2 which is only effective in an
enclosed space where there is no air supply so it can smother a fire.
The space has to be small or the gas is disbursed and it is not
effective. If you are in the space, you get smothered too! A hand
held extinguisher for C fires will not be too effective in a garage or outside.
CO2 is typically used for confined spaces that the ventilation can be
shut down and there is a bank of large cylinders that is discharged.
The number of cylinders is calculated for the space volume. Common on
ships for the switchgear and engine rooms.

Class B extinguishers are usually dry chemical and can be used on C
or electrical fires, it just makes a huge mess! They are also used on
small class A  fires. Look for ABC on the label.
This is the best all around extinguisher to have in your home,
garage, shop and etc. A mess is a lot better to clean up than burning down!

Water can and is used on hydrocarbon fires a lot. It takes training
and LOTS of water and is the prime fire fighting agent on ships.

There is a system designed that uses water for electrical fires too
and it is used on high tension switch gear.

Make sure your coil has a remote safety cut out for the power. This
can be as simple as an extension cord or two where the plug is in a
"safe" area.

Have a couple 5 pound dry chem extinguishers around at all times and
keep them near the exits of the space, preferably one on each side of
the exit. Cheap insurance, not only for running coils, but protecting
your home as well. They are not expensive.

Frank