Re: question about "lambda" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:25:42 -0700
From: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question about "lambda" (fwd)

Hi, Makes sense for those who played with ham radio.
It means the fraction of the operating wavelength you are interested in.
For TC's, it is the wavelength of your particular
coil and then a portion of that wavelength.

The relationship of frequency and wavelength is:

lambda =  speed of light in M/s/ frequency where
lambda is in meters and frequency is in cycles
lambda = 300,000/ frequency when the frequency is in khz

Example:
If a coil is operating at 1 mhz,
1/4 lambda = 1/4 (300,000/ 1000) = 75 meters.
1/2 lambda = 1/2(300,000/1000) = 150 meters
etc

Since coils are all about resonance, you can tune
them for best performance and design of the
secondary can be made so be in fractional lengths
of lambda for a desired resonant frequency and will give better sparks

We used to tune antenna feed lines and antenna
lengths to fractions of wavelength to get the
best efficiency out of a particular ham band.
Depending on the type of transmitter, solid state
or tube, we further tuned them for current feed
(transistor) , odd multiples of 1/4 lambda, or
voltage fed (tube) , multiples of 1/2 lambda, to optimize energy transmission.

A few numbers I remember was a 2 meter ground
plane had 19" radials (tube) and a CB feed coax
length was best in odd multiples of 9 ft (transistor).

Obviously we will not make a TC secondary
anywhere near 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength but we can
design it with lengths to correspond to increments of those wavelengths.

Frank