RE: Why am I getting small sparks? Am I underpowered? (fwd)

Moderator's note:
We don't send images on the list,  but I'm happy to provide space on
www.pupman.com for the images.  I'll try to get it on the site soon.

Chip

 I have attached a picture of my coil running today.  This is about as
good as I can get it and I can't seem to increase the spark size any
further for some reason.

One thing that concerns me is the size of the spark gap.  I am currently
running the spark gap at approx 1/2 inch which sounds like it is far too
big from what people are telling me on here.  I have tried reducing it
down to 1/4 inch but when I do that I don't get any sparks and it hardly
makes any noise when its running.

Even with the large spark gap size the spark gap doesn't seem to get very
hot.  I have been running my coil in about 10 second bursts and the spark
gap terminals are only warm to the touch after that.  There is certainly
no threat of any overheating.

Why am i getting such a lack of power with the 1/4 inch spark gap?

Kind regards,

Trevor.