Re: Capacitor dielectric voltage rating

In this discussion I haven't notice anyone mention that corona in air bubbles can break down the insulation even though it's plenty thick otherwise. When I was at Hughes out "capacitor guys" - we built our own for radar pulse forming networks - had a standard test in which they applied a 60 Hz voltage well above the capacitor voltage rating and listened for any signs of "radio noise" indicating corona and discarded or repaired any capacitors which exhibited it. The resulting product have excellent life.

Ed