Re: LCR Meter

Original poster: Mike Giblin <mike_99_eng@xxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent LCR meter? I am considering Tenma Benchtop LCR Meter #72-1025 on sale from MCM for $305.
<http://www.mcmconnect.com/tenma/product/72-1025/>http://www.mcmconnect.com/tenma/product/72-1025/

The only other Tenma products that I have used are a DC power strip and temperature controlled soldering iron. I am pleased with both items, but test and measurement equipment is a whole different category. I am reticent about spending money on off-brands as I have been disappointed with their performance. (Extech is particularly poor for accuracy and repeatability). Does anyone have any experience with Tenma test instruments?

I am also considering the BK Precision model 879 LCR meter for $300.

<http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_pdf.asp?m=879>http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_pdf.asp?m=879

I have been quite satisfied with the BK equipment that I have used in the past.

What meters are other folks using?

Thanks,

Mike Giblin"

"LC meters" are handy for quick measurements but there's no substitute for a good bridge for accurate measurements of inductance and capacitance. However, at least for most usage, these things are way too expensive in my opinion. I have one of the AADE LC meters (not LCR) and find it very useful for quick measurements. Range of capacitance may be much more convenient for TC work since it goes down to much lower values than the Tenma unit and the price is much better (about 100 bucks).
Look at:

     http://www.aade.com/lcmeter.htm

As for measuring DC resistance, almost any DVM these days can do a decent job and you can get good ones very cheaply. For general use I keep a few of the cheapie units(at low as three bucks if you watch their sales) from Harbor Freight Tool Supply although I have much better ones too. Since the AC resistance of coils and capacitors is a function of frequency a bridge is a better way to go IF you need to know.

In addition to signal generators from 2 Hz to1200 MHz and several scopes t he lineup of equipment here includes Q meters which go from 50 kHz to 400 MHz, several low-frequency impedance bridges, an RF impedance bridge, an R-X meter and of course various AC and DC meters. At one time or another any one is better than the rest.

Ed