Re: spark gap construction

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/13/07 9:28:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

This is Matthew.
What do you think Tesla used for a spark gap? Another diagram for
spark gaps that was out of the same book looked very similar to the
multi-spark gaps that I have seen.
Oh, and does polishing the ends of the contacts make a large
difference after they turn black from arcing?

Thanks,
Matthew

Matthew,

In the case of copper pipes used as a series spark gap,
when the copper gets blackened and corroded, it can ruin the coil's
performance until the pipes are cleaned up.  Some other
metals are better in that regard.

I've used silver for series spark gaps and it worked very
well.  Although it blackens and pits, it still works fine.
However I've seen reports by others saying they obtained
poor results using silver.

I've often used either steel or copper electrodes in rotary
spark gaps and they worked well for low power use.
For high power use, it may be better to use tungsten.
Other metals can be used at high powers but they'll
burn away faster.

Some folks like to use brass, but I find that brass burns
away rather quickly.  Red brass may be better than
yellow brass because it contains more copper.

John

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.