Re: is this the correct piggy?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/1/07 1:30:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>The transformer I'm referring to is 1/3 of the way down
>>the page marked:
>>
>>  0015 15 KVA Westinghouse Pole Mount Transformer
>>4 available, $300 each, Single phase, S/N G534157-66Y, 15kva,
>>voltage rating 7200/12470Y-120/240, 60 cyc, /YD item
>
>Our xmfrs put out 14.4 kV as opposed to the 12.470 kV this unit is rated at.

The pig Ben is looking at will put out only 7.2 kV if driven backwards. The 12.470 kV rating is for the phase-to-phase voltage when three pigs are used in a three-phase "Y" configuration. The 7.2 kV is for use in a three-phase "Delta" system, which is made possible by this being a two-bushing pig. For reference, the nice old Wagner 10 kVA two-bushing pig I got from Resonance Research is marked "7200/12470Y x 14400/24940Y". Dual ratings because it has an outside switch to change the internal taps. On the "low" switch setting it puts out 7.2 kV when driven by 240 volts, on the "high" setting it puts out 14.4 kV. Resonance Research's as-delivered price for their 10 kVA pigs is competitive with the pick-up price for the 15kVA unit you're looking at. Even at only 7.2kV it would probably work fine for TC use; you might want to design your primary capacitor and factor it into your pig requirements.

>>The website is here.
>>
>>http://www.equipmentresale.com/category.html?dept_id=110019

Interesting that they are only a step ahead of scrap value - looks like they have a lot of good deals, if you don't mind used equipment.

-Phil LaBudde

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.