Re: Leader Strike Photo

Original poster: Bert Pool <lightnin_dude@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At 08:57 PM 9/25/2006 -0600, you wrote:
Both Peter and Terry are presently using "rod-rod" electrode configurations which complicate the shape of the initial E-field in the gap. It would be interesting to see if they see different results when using a rod-plane or a rod-wire configuration instead - theory predicts that this should cause significantly more streamer and leader branching in the gap. Of course, once leaders and streamers start growing within the gap, previously injected space charge and topload voltage reversals dramatically complicate things. =<:^O

There is a good chance that a Rogowski shaped electrode would help.

Our very own Jim Lux once posted a very good spreadsheet that covered the design and characteristics of the electrode shape. I believe using his spreadsheet, and a bit of careful grinding, one could approximate a good curve and then compare spark characteristics?

How about it Jim?  Still have the rusty (I mean trusty) old sheet handy?

Bert