Re: Egg of Columbus

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Another photo of Harry's Egg of Columbus is posted at http://www.ntmsc.org/egg_of_columbus.jpg . It's going to be operated during the Saturday evening electrical phenomena demonstrations at the upcoming Nikola Tesla Conference on Long Island.

Harry has explained to me that the unit operates on 120 volt single phase house current. A variac is required to drop the voltage down to about 50 volts. A leading second phase is created by the insertion of a capacitor. The value was determined by experimentation. It is also possible to use a second variac to develop a lagging second phase. The egg itself is hollow plastic packed with steel wool. The variac is turned up to about 60 volts to get the egg spinning, and then it's backed off. The egg tends to fly off the platform at higher voltages.

Gary

Subject: RE: Egg of Columbus

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

After more research, I found that Harry Goldman has created an Egg of
Columbus you can see here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07cmo/images/Egg-of-Columbus.jpg

Apparently, at one time, Ed Wingate had some schematics around his shop for
it. Ed, do you still have those?

>From what I can gather, the system uses a standard induction motor stator
pulled from a household appliance.

I believe Harry provides more details in the magazine called Electric
Spacecraft Journal Vol. 40. Does anyone have a copy of this they could look
in for a schematic?

Thanks,
Cameron