Re: remote location of NSTs - away from coil base?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 9/4/06 4:53:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Are those the high current Superior Electric connectors?  I don't see
>them listed at DigiKey, not finding them with searches there - got a
>part #? Not that I'm likely to use them, I remember them being very
>expensive.

Yes, that's them. I also looked for them and couldn't find them at Digi-Key. Allied carries them, though:

<http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=645-0020&desc=PP50GY>http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=645-0020&desc=PP50GY

http://www.superiorelectric.com/PDF/Connector-catalog.pdf

>>--- this allows you to rapidly plug/unplug your power leads into
>>the oscillator base.
>
>Why bother with a 25 amp connector for the HV leads?

I assume Cox recommends them because his experience has shown them to be reliable, simple, and tough. High current connectors tend to be big, and big is good for HV. Not cheap? Try finding a cheap, plug-in connector rated for 25kV! Other possibility would be to adapt automotive spark plugs/wiring. I think if one chose the pin jack and sleeve plug (reversed from normal genders), one would gain some extra "creepage distance" for HV applications.

-Phil LaBudde