From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 10:15 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 3 phase car alternators

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I messed with an alternator many years ago with the idea of using it to
output AC by removing the internal diodes.  As I remember, there are a lot
of poles in an alternator, so at typical RPMs as used in cars, the AC
frequency is many hundreds of Hz.  Such an alternator turning at a slow
enough RPM to output 50 or 60 Hz would have too low a power output to be
very useful.

--Steve