Re: question about driving a DC sync spark gap

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Scitech coil that I upgraded uses a DC motor on around 200V. In fact they did blow a couple of bridges to the motor if I recall. I would install MOV's across each diode leg and snubber resistors/capacitors rather than straight capacitors. And use a mains ground shielded line to completely enclose the wiring to the motor but expect significant RF currents to pass down this which may capacitatively couple to your DC line. Mains ground the motor too. And I would use cheaper diodes. If you blow them it will be due to voltage spikes not overcurrent unless you have big caps after the diodes. I would be careful with chokes unless you can dampen any oscillation with suitable resistance in the circuit. Terry has clearly shown that simple chokes may aggravate a situation and are not protective hence the "Terry filter" doesn't contain them - just MOV's, R and C.

Peter

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx