Re: Partial re-visit to high speed spark photography

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have already obtained two decent first surface mirrors from Terry's suggested eBay source. I had wondered about simply epoxying the non-stressed mirror to the stressed mirror but the rebalancing may be an issue. After I had ordered these mirrors I remodelled the mirror so that one support is a bit flexible. That fixed the distortion of the flex but not the slight double image from the rear surface mirror. It is only a minor issue at present as my photos are now in better focus.
I haven't thought about any more exotic types of mirrors.
I think I will save these mirrors for the "next generation" rotating mirror that I am starting to plan. Not even Terry knows about this yet but it is only a twinkle in my eye so far. Still lots to do with this one yet and am still tearing what hair I have left, out on my current meter.

Peter

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx>

Peter, all,
I just noticed this, but on your site you mention having (suspected) problems with mirror flex causing duplicate artifacts in some of the images..

Have you looked into using silicon carbide mirrors? I have no idea where you'd get them, or if they'd even be affordable, but they may be the answer to your problem (if in fact it is a problem)..

Thicker glass is a good way to compensate for this, but the added rotational mass may not allow your mirror fixture to securely hold the mirror. I'm sure the last think you want is a large chunk of glass flying across the room without warning. SiC mirrors are much lighter and stronger.

No idea why this just occured to me (probably because I'm an optics guy).. thought it might be useful..

Coiling In Pittsburgh
- Ben McMillen