Re: High Speed Streamer Pictures - Even more

Hi Greg,

The bar graph scope has a frequency response of 1MHz or a bit higher. But the actual power arc to ground is only about 20nS in length. tto fast for the scope normally, but makes a nice clear picture ;-)) So you are just seeing the voltage on the top terminal rise and the current it takes to reheat the arc channel. After the arc, the current often continues to flow as the secondary inductor's energy is also grounded. Later on, the primary energy may recharge the secondary to possible even causing another power arc into the hot channel.

The actual power arc event was caught here:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090027b.JPG

In the upper arc, the power arc event "blipped" the scope as a quick positive pulse. A fainter similar pulse is here:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090034b.JPG

and here at the bottom:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090063b.JPG

So the scope is too slow to normally see the actual power arc event. But it sometimes catches it due to noise or something.

I need to "update" this too :-))

http://drsstc.com/~scantesla/Strike.pdf

Cheers,

        terry