Re: Maxwell 37667 pulse caps

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

there is a total of 4 caps, all in series

2 @  series # 31160  50KV .23uF
2 @  series # 31231  50KV .14 uF

if  my math is correct thats 200 KV at .043uf

Keep in mind that the smaller caps (.14uF) will see ~1.64X the voltage
of the larger ones.  So if you are feeding in 32kVAC, peak charging
should be around 45kV, and assuming a 100% reversal is only 90kV
across the caps, so id say you are *very* safe with that cap setup.
Really, you could probably get away with just 2 in series.  The small
caps should see about ~27kV p-p while the larger see ~17kv p-p.

I beleieve its more of a factor of having a high voltage capacity in
the cap set up compared to the supply voltage being pumped into the
caps that will allow a better life expectancy....    what else
explains the longevity of the system I am using??

Well, with SGTCs, the tank cap usually seems to be the weakest point
(unless you run NSTs).  So, provided you dont exceed the current
ratings of the capacitors (both peak and RMS, though you are very
unlikely to exceed the peak rating), they should be fine.

Steve Ward

Scot D