Re: Ballast

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

When using welders as a ballast one must consider the "duty cycle" of the welder being used!! At the higher amp levels provided by the welder the duty cycle decreases dramatically... most low end welders ( cheap < 350.00$) are only capable of a 20% duty cycle at the max setting ( I found this out the hard way...)

the primary side of the transformer in the cheaper welders are wound with aluminum wire and 40+amps draw in the "ballast" circuit will definately cause a meltdown in the welder.... my Sears 250A welder bit the dust in about 2 minutes at 40+ amps in the "ballast " mode... :(

if your welder has copper wire it may have a better duty cycle at the upper end settings...

Scot D

some snipperz
Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
Chip,
My advice, put the welder in series with the 220V input to the pig.
Put some wires on the HV bushings and make a jacobs ladder.
Short out the welding leads. Make sure you get a good contact. I cut the wires and clamped the end together. Start out with the welder switched to the lowest setting and fire the jacob's ladder. Record the input current to the pig with a clip on amp meter. Keep repeating this test but each time switch the welder to the next higher setting. Each time the current will increase. Eventually you will either run out of taps and have max power, or you will blow your breaker. If you blow your breaker back off one setting and you have about the max for your setup. I'n my old house I only have 25A in my garage. I ballasted to 22A and have made 7' sparks with my coil.
Curt.
www.wackorama.com/tesla
snipperz...