Re: Transient voltage surge suppression

Hi Jim,

At 04:25 PM 11/22/2006, you wrote:
Hi Group, Adam, and Terry

If one was to build a ?TVSS? from discrete parts as pictured in a black box in Adam?s schematic. What would be a reasonable selection for my 8? 7500VA coil? I like the idea.

Terry this is probably a good one for you?

I assume you mean "me". But I don't know much about pole pig systems and rarely get involved there...

I guess "TVSS" = Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor.

I have one that looks like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/11-QE-172.JPG

If this will help you, I'll send it to you for free.

In general, pole systems are too high of power for the parts we use on NST and electronic Tesla coils. DigiKey does make BIG MOVs but they are way over priced and mostly "hollow" like part # P7134-ND... The biggest one they have... Many smaller ones will add to the same value with vastly better energy handling for far less cash. I don't know how much is enough though.

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks,
Jim Mora