From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:20 AM
Subject: Re: 1256D Paralleling Choke

> Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
>
> Cameron,
>
> When there is a difference in voltage output of a couple of paralled
> transformers, the one with the lowest voltage will draw current from
> the one with the highest voltage. This is called circulating current.
> To minimize this current, a center tapped  parallelling choke is
> used. This choke has an impedance at 50/60Hz which is high enough to
> block current flow between the transformers at the low voltage
> presented by the difference of the variacs, but low enough to be
> neglegtible at higher voltages, so that it does not act as a ballast
> into the load. The 2 sections of the choke are in series between the
> variacs, but in paralell into the load.
>
> What you have to do is sweep the variacs trough the full movement,
> and record the voltage difference between them.
> The maximum voltage between them has to appear across the
> parallelling choke, without saturating it.
> To test if the core is up to this task, wind as many turns on it as
> you can, and connect it across a variac. turn up the voltage, while
> you monitor the current draw. At a point, the curent increases
> rapidly. This is the point where the core begins to saturate.
> In the case that this happens at a point where the voltage across the
> choke is higher than the maximum voltage difference of the variacs,
> you are on safe grounds. Wind the choke center tapped with this
> amount of turns, connect the ends of the turns to the wipers of the
> variacs, and draw power from the center tap.
>

> Hope this helps, Finn Hammer

Tesla list skrev:
Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
In the process of builing my "dream" power control console I am planning on connecting two 1256D variacs in parallel. To do that I understand I need a paralleling choke. Does anyone have such a device for sale? Or as a second choice, does anyonbe have any suggestion how I could build one?
Thanks,
Curt.