Re: Continuously variable primary

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

I've just yesterday (prompted by Gary's original comments) fab'd two spirals out of 2-sided printed-circuit stock. I thought I'd just connect them, on the bench, in series with the appropriate capacitance & then see by how much I could vary the resultant Fr by "accordianing" the spirals in & out. (I don't own an inductance meter that will be accurate enough at the uH level.)

KCH

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Tim S <mailto:stm800@xxxxxxxxxxx><stm800@xxxxxxxxxxx>

i agree has anyone modeled this in software?
tim

Tesla list <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx><tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "David Thomson"

Hi Tim and Gary,

The two primaries could be mounted on Plexiglas rings and joined
at the center by a vertical rod, which the upper coil slides
against. To get maximum inductance variation, wind the coils in
opposite directions. Winding them in the same direction will
cause the inductance to become too weak when they are next to
each other. Winding flat spirals in opposite directions will
give inductances up to four times the inductance of a single flat
spiral coil. The connections would be to the outer windings of
both coils.

The rings can be raised and lowered via a rubber inner tube
filled partially with dry air. The upper Plexiglas ring can also
be made to slide up and down plastic rods with nylon string and
pulleys providing the remote lifting and lowering.

Dave T.