Re: Overtones and velocity factors

Hi dest,

At 08:35 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
Hallo Terry.

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Quench is also not too important if the streamers naturally use all
> the systems energy in the first cycle anyway...

that`s impossible, only arc to ground can do that. or you are talkin
about breakpoint, which forces discharge as early as 100kv for
example? imo this can`t change much.

I am talking about very low coupling in the 0.03 to 0.1 range. The energy transfer gets so slow much never makes it back to the primary. But those are with older models. Newer models tend to point to the .1 to .15 range. The DRSSTC folks seem to get better results with very high coupling in the 0.2 to 0.25 range. They think it is due to "ERT".

> Computer models tend to point to lower and lower coupling for best
> operation.

which models exactly? any papers about them? : )

Models like the one used here:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

tend to optimize to very low coupling coefficients. However, ScanTesla likes higher ones. ScanTesla takes much more into account and optimized far better of course.

> However, the "energy rise time" of higher coupled systems
> is probably very important for long streamer formation.  The Russians
> have specific numbers for this for there 400++ foot Marx generators!!!

coil with the same coupling but higher Fo would have higher "ert"
automatically, does it meant that this coil would have longer sparks
just from this? unlikely : )

You need a "just right" ERT and then a whole lot of energy then to feed the streamer. If you don't have the energy, or too fast of ERT, or to slow of ERT, then the streamers get shorter. I forget the number right off but it is in the spark book or archives.

> I too always wondered about people that did not watch sparks only on
> a "scope screen"...  Your gonna go blind :O)))))

no way : p we just haven`t necessary equipment - there is 5 mhz
single-beam single-channel, 15 mhz two-beam two-channel and 50 mhz
single-beam two-channel scopes lying here, but none of them is storage
or digital -_-

:o)) You have fine equipment there. But I know "I" tend to really get caught up far more in "technical details" than "pretty sparks"...

> With all the new solid state stuff, "repeatability" is a giant new
> advantage we have ;-))

of coz you have - the "best man friend" like i`ve said : D

I was doing repeatability experiments yesterday and the SISG is very impressive :-))) I was also trying to get some racing arcs for Paul's thing but I could not get any yet...

Cheers,

        Terry