Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo Paul.

Monday, May 22, 2006, 4:25:44 AM, you wrote:

> Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Dest wrote:  (I still think Dmitry sounds better :))

yes, i know, it`s simple coz we are from different generations.

> Under certain conditions then, is the gap (nonlinearity)
> generating lots of unwanted RF at some high frequency?  Is
> there a -ve V/I slope involved here?  Driven by power arcing,
> is the primary gap trying to be a Poulsen arc?

i don`t know how (non)linear igbt in saturation mode is, but Terry
said that it`s resistance is 1-2 order of magnitude lower than
resistance of sg, so there must be no any racing here, coz Qpri would
jump to 100-200? i`m considering that there is no any breakpoint on
top, and primary transfers most of bang energy without any loading.

> I'm keen on this 'pathalogical primary behaviour' idea,
> associated with quenching difficulty which in turn is brought
> on by 'over-coupling'.  It fits - k is not directly the cause.

and these are very good news, coz i don`t want to spend money or time on
any form of solid state switch : )

> Peter Terren wrote:
>  > I can contribute with a picture of racing sparks.
>  > http://tesladownunder.com/TeslaPhysicsRun5secs.jpg

> This looks like a point-to-point breakdown of the secondary,
> which I think is probably a different thing.

so as pics that were posted recently by me and Kurt Schraner.

> Variation on the above:  Just fire the primary under various gap
> operating conditions, without the secondary (is that possible
> or would that damage something?)

i think Gerry doesn`t want to boil his cde c(r)aps, so single shot only,
probably with coffee breaks between series of them : D

> Using the frequency measurements and the known dependence of
> velocity factor on h/d

i know nothing about this dependence - i`m reading archives currently,
not your web site : ) just wanted to have some practice with what you
wrote about modes/velocity, taken the first coil and discovered missed
mode - that was fun : )

>  > i`m reading archives from the begining

> I hope you're making a list of all the 'good' posts!

no - i copy/paste them in a big txt file, read it, understand it and
then quickly destroy it, thence is "dest" - my name : D