To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: SRSG - rotor attachment

Original poster: "seanick" <edgarsbat@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla coiling has easily set me back as much or more for tools as it has for materials (and time is not even something I want to think about :) ) drill press, 2 bench grinders and probably a third before too long, band saw, welder, vise, hacksaw, files, sawzall, air die grinder, air compressor motor (to replace burnt-out one),... the list goes on but I can't think of it all right now...

If you are buying anything like a drill press or a band saw, don't get the cheap one from Sears. I did get the cheap one of both of those from Sears- the drill press is already toast (though admittedly I probably still got my moneys worth out of it) and the band saw has been useless for anything but very rough cuts for very small amounts of 1/4" plexi, ever since the day I got it. Definitely get the next model up, or three models up (or best yet: don't go to Sears). you will thank yourself later.. I can't say for the lathe as I don't have one of those. I usually have to jury-rig something when I need to wind a coil or the like. Never had trouble doing so though...

Tell us how your project works out! Which reminds me, I need to go finish my adjustments, take pictures, and try my own again today. I did manage to fix the hunting problem I was having. I replaced the universal joint I was using with a short piece of fiberglass-reinforced air hose and some hose clamps and the problem was solved. Looks like my 2 part motor- spark gap idea may yet pan out.

Later
NICK