Re: Clear Coat for Secondaries ? ? ?

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Dan...

if... you can find it Behr 50 2 part is wonderful. Dries Clear, stays clear.... but if bumped, dropped, handled in an abusive manner ,the covering "separates" from the wire leaving a whitish bruise ( after it has aged a couple of years, during the first year or 2 its quite resilient).... basically an air gap between the wire and covering.
It is also prone to scratches if drug across sharp corners.
Only other choice I would recremend ( never could spell that word) is a polyurethane floor finish but they have a tendancy to turn either yellowish or golden. One other thing I know of but havent tried is the 2 part "lexan" that is used on table tops bar tops etc... very clear, mostly scratch resistant, probably expensive and my be brittle like aged Behr 50.... guessing on this tho I have used it on a small table project and it worked out just wonderfully.. I have no idea on its electrical characteristics tho....

I wonder what the results of using a clear coat automotive application would end up as.....?

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

Can someone recommend a good clear coat for secondary coils that looks
aestetically good.  This will be used for a secondary coil wound on
clear acrylic tubing.  The standard polyurethane is no good since it
dries yellow and flakes.  Perhaps a two-part epoxy?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Dan
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com