Re: Setting up a pole pig's wiring

Hi Bart,

This makes sense if H2 to core breakdown is lower voltage than H1 to LV winding (assuming H2 is outer winding and H1 is inner winding). I guess I'm more concerned about arcing to the LV winding because of subsequent consequences.

Gerry R.

Hi Gerry,

The point was that it might be a good idea to ground the coil side nearest the core. The nearest core to the hv coil is not the core center, but the outer portion of the E core. Thus, at least in this case, H2. I think there would have been problems long ago as I doubt anyone has payed much attention to what's what.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Bart,

OK, I think I understand now. My pig doesnt have this tap switch unless it is on the inside. Also no mention of it on the diagram. You say that you suspect the tap connections are on the outer HV winding??? If this is true, then why ground H2. I thought the previous discussion was saying that H2 (via the tap switch) goes to the inner windings of the HV coil that is directly on top of the LV winding and this is why it is best to ground H2.

Gerry R.

Hi Gerry,

The tap is a 5 position switch located on the side of the case near the top. It switches the HV side. The switch has 1 common and then switches between 5 positions which are taps at the HV winding. Here are the tap voltages:

Thus, the LV output (in normal distribution use) can be adjusted as necessary. I of course keep the transformer tapped at position 1. This switch is just below the top

msnip...