Re: doubled up toroids

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/30/06 9:17:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I see a lot of people using a toroid on top of a toroid to help prevent
spark jumps to the secondary.

I have 2 questions about this.

1). Does this really work?

Kevin,

The dual toroid method helps greatly to prevent primary strikes.
The same purpose can be accomplished by making a taller
secondary coil.  The dual toroid method also stops lets the
main toroid be higher while still stopping corona flaring at
the top turn of the secondary.  The dual toroid also gives
a longer spark length.  for example using a single 4" x 13"
toroid I got about 50" sparks, but using two 4" x 13" toroids,
I got 58" sparks.

2). If let's say you have calculated out that you need a 8x24 toroid, what
size toroid would you use if you were to use the 2 torrid setup and how
would you determine or calculate that?

Bart's JavaTC can do those kinds of calculations I believe.

John

Kevin M. Conkey