To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: High Power SRSGs

Hi DC,

This makes sense as I'm using 1/8 tungsten for this rotary. The next one I'm starting on will use 3/8 tungsten for the flying electrodes and maybe 1/2 inch for the stationary ones. The power level using a 5KVA PIG will hopfully be between 5 and 8KVA. The rotor will probably be 15 inches diameter with electrodes on a 13.5 inch diameter circle and will also be synchronous at 1800rpm. I'm still debating on whether to use two or four stationary electodes. Im thinking that with four, the gap effectively closes and separates at twice the speed and I'm wondering if this helps things more than the extra losses thru four gaps.

Gerry R.

Try using 1/2 inch dia. fixed electrodes and you won't get power arcing which results from insufficient cooling at the electrode surfaces --- red hot electrode ends promote power arc formation. I run just two sparkgaps not four with all NST configurations at or below 120 mA. At 180-200 mA we go to 4 stationary electrodes.

Dr. Resonance

Hi All,

The SRSG I built for my NST farm (15KV 120ma) has two static and 4 flying electrodes and arcs thru two gaps. The 8 inch diameter disc runs at 1800rpm (120pps) and the four flying electrodes are all electrically connected together and rotate on a 6.5 inch diameter circle . I have noticed that at the 2KW level, I might be seeing the beginnings of power arcing.

Question: for higher power levels it is certainly beneficial to go to a larger disc, but is it also beneficial to have four stationary electrodes and arc thru 4 gaps??

Gerry R.