Re: Hybrid SG/SISG idea? "IGBT-Assist Spark Gap"?

Hi,

At 01:02 PM 6/5/2006, you wrote:
No comments?  In case there was any trouble
visualizing this (I doubt it, but...), here's a sketch
done using top-of-the-line schematic-drawing software:
mspaint.exe ;-)

http://silicon-arcana.com/SG-SiSG.jpg

Doubtless this sketch is **WAY** oversimplified!!  It
probably doesn't include a lot of necessary evils
required to place IGBTs in series (may need a TVS per
IGBT, divider to equalize the voltage across the whole
stack, etc.--thoughts?).

The gates of the IGBTs are at about 900V potential difference each up the stack. They cannot be hooked together. One of the earlier problems was how to get an isolated power supply to each of the gates and how to trigger them. Batteries and fiber optics would probably work and I did some tests on that years ago. But it was all just too complex and messy... The SISG fixed all that.

There is a problem if the spark gap does not fire at just the right voltage. If it fires at too high of voltage the IGBTs could breakdown and that is a bad thing. If the sparks gaps were divided among each device to get around the above, then they would have to fire at 900V which is not easy.

In short, the modularity of Terry's SISG is very cool,
but I'm wondering what simplifications one could make
if he/she started out assuming that they were going to
need a LOT of IGBTs, e.g., for use with a 15kV NST or
something bigger.

Boards like Mike's are 3600V each. So you can have "big" modules too. If it all works out real good, someone will probably sell the whole thing pre-made.

Ah...if only those 6500V IGBT
bricks were cheaper!! :-)

:-))))  At least they do exist!!!  Not sure they have the reverse diode?

And again, the ability to adjust the firing voltage by
just varying a spark gap like in a regular SGTC would
sure be neato.

I just add and remove sections by moving the wire:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/index_html_m2dc0296e.jpg

SIDACSs cost like 50 cents each so there is no great price advantage. Some people have trouble getting them in other countries so they are trying Zener, and TVSs. Not sure how well that works.

Of course, all this is very young, so who knows...

Cheers,

        Terry

Regards,
Aaron