Re: pole pig beginner

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

We have 10 kVA pole xmfrs that run on 220 VAC, not 440 VAC. Some of the large industrial units usually in large quarries, chemical plans, industrial metal working plants, etc, do actually run on 440 VAC. If you only have 220 VAC at your home, do not use this type of xmfr.

I have the correct xmfr you need, a standard 220 vac to 14.4 kV 10 kVA pole xmfr.

As with any pole xmfr, a series 220 vac primary current reactor is required to keep the maximum current from exceeding the value your capacitor bank requires. With a typical setup, a .05 to .08 uF cap bank requires 30 to 50 Amps on the 220 volt side. Your series power reactor must limit the maximum current to this value. Best test is to set up a climbing arc or just short out the 14.4 kV (HV) side of the xmfr and then use a variac to bring in the power slowly. The reactor is adjusted to match the current you require.

If you don't use a reactor at all the xmfr will try to draw approx 700 Amps and blow your breakers! The current must be limited.

The 15 kVA xmfr is the max. continuous current that your house pole xmfr can supply. If everything else in the house is shut off, you can draw the full 15 kVA for short periods of time. Be sure to shut off current hogs such as stoves, elec. hot water heaters, and clothes dryers when you run a large coil. A full 15 kVA will probably match up well with a 24 inch dia. coil running a 40 x 12 inch toroid and a 0.15 to 0.20 uF 50 kV capacitor bank.

When you build a big coil be prepared in advance to spend big bucks for all the necessary parts to do it right.

We sell the xmfrs for $125.00 if you need one --- I have 60 of them in stock.

Dr. Resonance

Hi guys, I called this guy Gary told us about in the "pole chicken" thread about some transformers and it seems he doesn't really know what he has. This makes for a bad buying situation because I don't really know what I need. I've built 2 coils prior to this one and they we're both NST powered. I wanted to make the jump to pole pigs but the more I look for answers the more questions I come up with.

1. I told him I wanted a 10KVA pole mount distribution transformer and he insist that they run on 480V. I really don't know. Do they?

2. From what I'm told I have 240V coming into my house at 200A. The pole pig that powers my house has a 15 stamped on it that I can only assume refers to 15KVA. If that is the case I should be able to buy a 15 KVA pig and have just enough power to run it if nothing in the house is running. Is this right?

3. I'm 99% sure that I wouldn't be able to run anything over 15 KVA meaning it would serve no purpose to buy one bigger than that or more than one 15KVA. However you guys have suprised me before so if anyone knows something I don't on this issue please tell me.

If you guys could please clarify some of my assumptions and tell me exactly what I need so I can buy from this guy with confidence I would realy appreciate it.