Re: Iron transformer positioning under the primary experiment

Hi Again,

I put a piece of copper under the primary like this:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/PrimaryQ-10.jpg

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/PrimaryQ-11.jpg

It hardly made any difference!!! The magnetic fields around the primary must stay very close the the coil!! I don't know if there are any magnetic field mapping programs out there that could show this?

But it appears you can put metal objects really near the primary!!

Cheers,

        Terry

Hi Scot,

It is not easy to fine the answers you and I seek, but I was able to do it today:

MOT position Rac(Ohm) Lpri (uH) Power Loss (W)

No MOT                          0.14            3.19            0
MOT in worst position                   0.20            3.25            11.76
MOT in expected build position          0.148           3.19            1.57

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/SISG-TPtest-FollowUp.pdf

On a conventional lossy spark gap coil, even a very close MOT in a bad position would not be noticed. We often see coils with transformers and such under the primary. It might be the case that their added losses are not too great. But the open core MOT will reject eddy and sorted turn currents. That is not the case for say a NST cover.

Cheers,

        Terry