Re: Homemade Voltage Divider

It's also very simple to do this type of measurement by simply monitoring the input potential to the power xmfr. This is the way most modern x-ray xmfr systems do it.

For example, a primary meter movement is 0-120 VAC and the meter is calibrated as 0-12 kV AC. At the 100 volt mark on the meter you are delivering 10 kV Erms on the sec. side of the xmfr. You can also just carry this over to rectified DC capacitor charging knowing that Erms x 1.414 equals the peak DC capacitor (charged) potential. The meter is calibrated with DC kiloVolts on the face accordingly.

It's easy to do and always accurate since the xmfr ratio never changes. Initial (test) measurements are taken with a HV probe or divider to insure accuracy on the meter calibration.

HV power lines and substation techniques are similar. They use a PT (potential xmfr), for example, a 69 kV to 120 VAC provides full output potential metering on a standard 0-120 VAC meter that has it's face calibrated 0-69 kV.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jim,

I'm pretty sure that R. Hull had the measurement
of a known fraction of HVAC when suggesting the use
of an NST to measure HV, as the 15kv/120v ratio can
easily be multiplied by the output measurement of
the reversed NST. However, I am trying to measure
high voltage DC since I'm trying to guage the ap-
plied voltage to the terminal of a huge capacitor
bank that I'm trying to charge. The reverse NST
measurement method that you propose would only
give resaonbly accurate measurement data for high
voltage AC.

David Rieben