Re: Help with making SRSG phase control work?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 1/25/06 2:24:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Scott H. sent me a message inquiring if I really had a salient pole
>Oriental Motor.

Scott was kind enough to send a lengthy e-mail to me as well. I hope he'll understand if we continue the discussion in public, as I feel it's a perfectly relevant topic.

>He said the company tells him that they have never
>made any salient pole motors.

Is "Oriental" a manufacturer, importer, distributor, or generic term for these brands?

> The data sheet actually says "Reaction Synchronous Motor".

    What exactly is a "reaction" synchronous motor, anyhow?

>So maybe it is a hysteresis motor after all?  I
>clearly have salient pole written in my notebook - maybe it was
>advertised that way from C & H Sales.  I can't absolutely testify
>that it starts in the same place everytime.

I'm not taking mine apart, as I've already got the whole SRSG built around it and aligned. I'm not too worried about how repeatable the start position is, so long as I can adjust it or get it right without too many restarts.
    But I'm sure my motor is synchronous, for the following reasons:

1. It is completely identical to the one Terry Blake used. It looks to me like it works pretty consistently for Mr. Blake, who invented the prop gap I'm using.

2. The label says "1500/1800 RPM", and the frequency is listed as "50/60 HZ". All the synchronous motors I've seen list an even 1500/1800 RPM.

3. I did the salient-pole conversion to a 3/4hp motor. Using the stroboscope and a (voltage control) variac, I could see (and hear) the 3/4hp salient-pole motor drop in and out of synch with the steady 1800 rpm Oriental motor.

I haven't had the time yet to try everybody's suggestions, but thanks to all for clarifying that the motor run cap is left in place, despite the addition of the phase control cap. I'll try with some smaller phase cap values, and see what happens.

-Phil LaBudde