RE: POPULAR ELECTRONICS, Jul. 1964, p29, 250KV TESLA COIL

Hello All,

I have a vintage original of the July 1964 "PE" Li'l and big coils. Funny,
the magazine was 35 cents then.  The tube coil was the first coil I ever
built at age 15. My Father wouldn't buy the neon transformer for my well
being, though of course I had an obit stashed in my attic lab:-) The tube
used a 5Y3 as the rectifier and a 6L6 as the primary resonator driver. The
coil was a Miller 4526 from a large screen TV (what would that be, a
whooping 25" semi round). I used to go to Allied and Olsen across the street
on Western Ave, Chicago, a supplier of the miller. Are they still there?

Anyway, the proceeding "big TC" was a neon 30ma 12KV powered unit. The
secondary was 4.75 inch outer diameter phenolic 38 inches long using 2000
turns of formvar wire wound 34.5 inches. It had a feed-through insulator on
the top, no top load.

The primary was 9" wound with 20 turns of test probe wire. The tank cap was
formed of 2 14" x 14" of tin or alum foil cemented to a 18.5" square piece
of window glass. The spark gap was comprised of brass and copper needle
points @ ~1" gap.

I would be happy to post a jpg of this if someone knows the statute of the
copy write... my scanner is working last I used it :-^)

Long Streamers,
Jim Mora