Re: spark gap (working copper)

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ian,

To do that, it is better to spend the money for the right blade. DeWalt has a nonferrous metals blade that has a -5 degree rake. I think they also put out a ferrous metals blade now, but I don't know if that has to be used at low RPM. For use on a tablesaw, the blade may need a stabilizer. Mine will wander on some cuts, and not give square cuts all the time. It may also be a good idea to lube the blade with some A9 aluminium cutting fluid every so often.

David E Weiss

Original poster: Ian Macky <ian@xxxxxxxxx>

Introducing the Joy of Carbide: Woodworking tools with carbide bits can
work aluminum and copper!  A woodworking chop saw with a carbide blade
zips through aluminum and makes beautiful cuts.  And, it does hard or
coft copper too, but more slowly.  With a handheld router and carbide bit,
you can hand "mill" aluminum!  (This is best with guides tho).

--ian

P.S. But, be warned, copper is a b**** to machine in an traditional engine
lathe or mill (especially older, slopperier) since it's soft and grabby
and the bit just kind of dives in and the whole thing wedges up in a flash,
quite ugly (was showed some examples of ruined copper parts).